Online for the 2023-2024 School Year
Teacher: Ms. Amelia Chan
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.
Anyone interested in joining Ms. Chan’s AP Statistics class should fill out this application and pay the tuition in order to hold the spot.
This one year course is equivalent to an introductory, non-calculus-based college course in Statistics. It will prepare you well for the AP Statistics exam. You will learn about the major concepts and tools used for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. You will explore statistics through discussion and activities, design surveys and experiments.
Skills you will learn:
- Selecting methods for collecting or analyzing data
- Describing patterns, trends, associations, and relationships in data
- Using probability and simulation to describe probability distributions and define uncertainty in statistical inference
- Using statistical reasoning to draw appropriate conclusions and justify claims
Early Bird Special: $675. After June 30 is $725.
Who Should Apply?
All students should have successfully completed Algebra II. If you have not completed Algebra II, please sign up for my Honors Algebra II class.
Why Take This Class?
“Statistical Thinking will one day be as necessary for efficient citizenship as the ability to read and write.” - H.G. Wells. Statistics is the most widely used branch of mathematics, which we use to analyze the world around us. In the information age, computers allow us to collect and store information in previously unimaginable quantities. Statistical literacy is needed for the data analysis skill which has become a tremendous asset in education and job application, regardless of career. Statistics is used in science, technology, business, medical, psychology, economics, and politics. Many students found statistics the most interesting math class in their high school education.
Sapling Plus (roughly $70) includes
- ebook of Practice of Statistics, Daren S. Starnes; Dan Yates; David S. Moore Sixth Edition. This is the most updated version that features a revised College Board organization to match the new unit structure in the 2019-2020 Course Framework for AP® Statistics.
- Homework Assignments, Worked Example Videos, Worked Exercise Videos, Chapter Review Exercise Videos, TI-83/84, TI-Nspire and TI-89 Calculators Videos Statistical Applets, Data Sets, Flashcards.
Detailed instruction will be given after registration.
- Computer, high-speed internet access, e-mail capability, with camera
- Smartphone or scanner to save multiple handwritten pages as a single PDF file
- Graphing calculator – TI-89, TI-Nspire, or TI-83/84 Plus
- Online platform.Students access class materials on Canvas, Sapling Plus and College Board AP Classroom any time most convenient for them. All class materials are available 24/7.
- Teacher produced video lectures for each lesson.
- Online assignment provides students with real-time targeted feedback based on their specific misconceptions or understanding of the course material.
- Apps to perform simulations and generate graphs and summary statistics.
- Exercise Videos and Chapter Review Exercise Videos
- Videos of how to use TI-89, TI-Nspire, and TI-83/84 calculator.
- Free Response Questions will be graded by the instructor.
- College Board designed practice test questions.
- AP Exam Review includes exam tips and strategies, practice MCQ and FRQ for each unit, videos covering released College Board AP Exam FRQ.
- One optional live Zoom session per week with the instructor that focus on key concepts, challenging assignments, AP multiple choice and free response questions. Students enjoy group activities and problem solving. Attendance is optional and recording will be made accessible for those who cannot attend. Student who cannot attend the class should watch the recording.
Weekly live Zoom meeting meets every Tuesday, 8 am to 9 am PST (11 am to 12 pm EST). Class will run from Aug 21, 2023 through early May 2024. There will be a Thanksgiving break, a winter break in December and a Spring break. Exact dates to be determined. Live class attendance is optional.
- Homework: Homework is extremely important. Your success in this class is dependent upon your ability to work and understand the homework problems. Watch the video and do the homework.
- Chapter Tests: There will be a test at the end of each chapter. All quizzes, and tests are closed books. You cannot use the internet, any textbook nor notes.
- Exams: There will be a midterm and final exam.
You can ask questions through several ways:
- Discussion forum. Students, TAs and the instructor will be answering questions there.
- Come to live class with your questions.
I hold an M.A. in Mathematics from Columbia University in New York and a B.A. in Mathematics and B.A. in Statistics from the University of California, Berkeley. My professional background includes work as an Investment Banker, Financial Software Engineer, and Actuarial Consultant. After my children began school, I decided to homeschool them, customizing courses to fit their individual abilities and needs. Through this experience, I began teaching math to homeschool co-ops and after school classes. Many of my students have excelled academically and won national math competitions. I have taught math online and in-person for over 15 years. I am passionate about teaching students from all over the world and seeing them succeed in math. For more information about me and my teaching philosophy, please visit www.mathamelia.com.
2022 AP Exam result
|AP Score||Ms. Chan||Global|
|% SCORES 3 OR HIGHER||80%||69%|
Testimonial (more at www.mathamelia.com)
There are many math teachers in this area but what makes Amelia different is her love for students. She does not only guide the student’s math education but genuinely cares for their emotional well being. There is a lot of pressure studying in this area. We need more teachers that are thoughtful, encouraging and loving like Amelia.
Amelia, you have made a strong impression on my daughter in the first lesson. She said that if you were their math teacher for Algebra, everyone would love you. She does not enjoy math but you have made her feel really comfortable with it just by one class. That is a huge compliment coming from a very critical almost teenage girl. Thank you.
My two daughters have worked with many tutors and taken many math classes even Russian Math school and Amelia Chan has been by far the most skilled at explaining math concepts in a quick, efficient smart way that has translated to very high scores on placement exams. She is no nonsense and respects our time and efforts and I would highly recommend her.
When we started tutoring with Amelia, we were having trouble with rational functions, now we have mastered that and are on to trig topics and understanding them in depth.
I really enjoy going to tutoring sessions, because I know every minute will be used efficiently to help me move forward at the fastest pace possible. She makes sure I understand and can do my work as efficiently as possible and is always able to give targeted advice without missing a beat. I am sure she could do this for first graders up to a really high level and am glad we used her for alg 2/trig.
Amelia makes the middle school and high school math so easy to learn for us. Math is not that complicated after all.
Amelia has been teaching my son Geometry since August; I think she could tailor a class or tutoring to meet anyone's needs. She's been engaged, progressing quickly, doing his homework, and he appreciates that she relates the math to real life with stories and examples. We would like to pass on this recommendation to anyone else who is looking for excellent math instruction!
Our son didn’t feel the kind of confidence he has doing math until he started working with Amelia. Amelia’s talent lies in the way she teaches — she is great at how she explains problems and concepts in digestible ways for our son to absorb. She is keen on how her student is feeling, working through a problem, and is very kind giving reassurance and praise. Math now is fun for Ethan and he really looks forward to his tutoring sessions with her.
My daughter is 9th-grader whose has been tested to be at a third-grade math level. She didn't have a solid foundation for Algebra when we came to Amelia at the beginning of the school year. However, after 3 months of lessons and homework, Amelia has brought her up to level. My daughter is now able to start Algebra 1 and finish it by the end of her freshman year. Not only she caught up with math, more importantly, her confidence level has significantly increased. To me, that is priceless.
Amelia has been working with my daughter for several years. Amelia’s mathematical expertise is impeccable. My daughter has completed all the advanced math classes with ease with Amelia’s assistance. I highly recommend Amelia for advanced math learners.